TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Do we know if the oil gauge has an LED type light source? I
People Seeking Info

Subject Do we know if the oil gauge has an LED type light source? I

Posted by jzack on March 17, 2016 at 1:45 PM
  This message has been viewed 212 times.

In Reply To Aftermarket Oil Pressure Gauge Wiring posted by Tanley (ATL) on March 17, 2016 at 12:39 PM

Message would assume probably yes. The issue you will have is that the dash illumination is designed for incandescent bulbs. The way those dim is way different to how LEDs work. Bulbs have different current draw characteristics.

The easiest solution I see is for the gauge to be wired up a single pole double throw switch ... one position is a straight connection for the LED to +12v and the other switch position connects to +12v thru a resistor to cause the LED to dim down. You'd have to experiment with various resistor values to get the night illumination preferred. Flip the switch for bright and dim glow modes.

All this could be done with a relay or other type of control circuit to work automatically but that gets more complicated. Others here may have other ideas but this is what I cam up with....

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.